CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Sunday, March 15, 2009

Rules !

So I just read a really good book called Rules by Cynthia Lord. It's about a 12 year girl who has a brother with Autism and her day to day struggles with it. She talks about rules she teaches him so he can deal with life. It totally could be Lindsay's life, but our whole family can relate. I just wanted to share a little with you.

Excerpt...... " I click the seat belt across me and open my sketch - book to the back page. That's where I keep all the Rules I'm teaching David so if my someday-he'll wake-up-a regular brother wish doesn't come true, at least he'll know how the world works, and I won't have to keep explaining things.

1. Sometimes you gotta work with what you got
2. say excuse me when you burp
3. flush
4. you can take your shirt off when you go swimming but not your shorts
5. it's fine to hug mom, but not the clerk at the video store
6. keep your pant on unless mom or a doctor tell you to take them off.
7. if you want to get away with something, don't announce it first
8.At someone elses house you have to follow their rules
9.sometimes people laugh when they like you and sometimes they laugh to hurt you
10.Pantless brothers are not my problem

So I was thinking......... Here are some " Ben" rules

1. You have to stay dressed until 8:00 P.M.
2.If you sleep in your own bed all night by yourself you get a Mcdonald sticker
3.It's not o.k. to say bad words anywhere, especially in church.
4. No splashing when taking a bath, mom doesn't want to wash 12 towels that weigh 10 lbs each
5. shampoo is not bubble bath
6. you don't need a cup of sugar in your cereal for it to taste good.
7. Don't take anything apart without permission.
8. no cutting drawers, coutertops etc with sharp knives
9. screaming hurts everyone's ears regardless of what time it is.
10. dog fights are not funny............ ever !
11. Is there a parrot in the house ? Yes, his name is Ben
12. you can put your fork in your own drink, but not anyone elses

we love Ben, but he definitely keeps us very aware of what we do and say, everyday !

0 comments: